You just know it’s summer once again when beads of sweat start to break out right after you’ve just stepped out of the shower. As much as I love the warmth of the sun on my skin and I wouldn’t mind walking under the sun without some sort of sun shield, I’m not at all too excited about summer. I guess being out of school for too long and staying trapped in the office everyday of my life have zapped the season I used to look forward to. Gone are the days of literally doing nothing, of spending the whole day reading novel after novel, and of vacations to my mom’s hometown where we would make the whole backyard our playground. I can still vividly remember the trips we took, my cousins and I, to the river a few meters from my lola’s house, and the times we were just unruly kids being chased around by the geese. I still feel guilty about the goose’s egg that I dropped when I saw the goose lowering its neck and charging toward me. Or the day my cousins and I staged a “picket” demanding that we go swimming at a nearby town. Summers meant having fun and getting as sunburnt as a lechon and eating the mangoes freshly picked from a tree. Where have all those summers gone? Sadly, being an adult comes with having responsibilities, and having responsibilities means watching the summer pass by as an spectator. Makes me think that summer is, indeed, just kid stuff.
We don’t plan any outings during the summer because the places to go to are usually jampacked. Aside from rates being higher than usual, who would want to swim skin to skin in a common pool filled with people you hardly know? What if one of them was just plain lazy to go to the bathroom to pee? I shudder at the thought. Beaches are the same. Who would want to share the beach with the gang renting a hut beside yours and their stereo speakers blaring as if summoning all the creatures of the sea to walk on water? Just not something I’d look forward to.
But if there are some things I don’t look forward to come summertime, there are also things I can’t wait to enjoy:
- Razon’s halo-halo. Gosh. This is, by far, the best halo-halo I’ve ever tasted! I’ve never been a halo-halo lover but after Razon’s, I’ve been a convert. I would always look forward to trips to Pampanga just to have a glass of Razon’s halo-halo and a plate of their pancit luglog. The good news is Razon’s has expanded and can now be found all over the metro. Nearest to my place is the one in Mall of Asia. The place is full the whole-year round, more so when you just want to beat the summer heat. I’ve never liked the fancy halo-halos that were filled with a dozen or more sangkaps. With Razon’s no-frills halo-halo, you get just 3 ingredients to add to the ice shave—sweetened saba, oh-so-creamy leche flan, and slivers of macapuno. Truly unforgettable!
- Jollibee’s Ube Ice Craze. I’m not really a huge ube fan. I love Tamtamco’s Ube from Baguio and would eat too much of ube halaya if there was one in the fridge, but I’m not too thrilled of having ube in my ensaymada or eating ube ice cream. Basta, I’m kinda finicky with how I want my ube eaten. Anyway, I decided to try this ice craze. I recall, it wasn’t even summer when I tasted it for the first time. It was yummy! Zoe wanted it all for herself! They also have new flavors out for the summer: Mango Crema and Saba con Yielo, though I haven’t tasted them yet.
- Sunsilk Summer Fresh shampoo. Before you think I live just for food, here’s something that cannot be eaten. I just love Sunsilk’s limited edition shampoo with it’s watermelon scent. Makes me giddy for no reason, even if it does nothing to tame my mane. I liked it so much I stocked up on it just so I get to use it on last September’s Boracay trip.
- Fruits, fruit shakes. Any fruit shake will do. My fave flavors would be mango, watermelon, or kiwi.
Tank tops and summer dresses. I just love those frilly summer dresses or skirts. When you’re stuck in the office all-year round trying to look as serious as can be, this is the perfect breather! They go so well with summer than with any other season. Perfect match would be the ever dependable flip flops.
- A good pedicure. Flip flops go with clean feet. It’s my perfect excuse to get that spa pedicure I’ve been too lazy or too kuripot to get for months.
Midway through March and I’m bracing myself for the hot summer months. But then again, I’m thrilled and thankful just the same that we’re living in the tropics, where the sun shines and the people are warm.
Leave a Comment
Be the first to comment!